Famous for being a romantic and expressive language, Italian is spoken by more than 66 million people worldwide. The vast majority of native Italian speakers live in Italy, but it’s also an official language in Switzerland, San Marino, and Vatican City.
Known for its plethora of local dialects and regional accents, Italian language translations are rarely straightforward. Only highly skilled Italian translators will be able to ensure that communications are tailored to a localized audience.
Who We Are
CanTalk is a nationally and internationally recognized language service centre located in Winnipeg, the heart of Canada. With over 25 years of immediate voice-to-voice language service support, we’re known for our groundbreaking integrative language technologies and work with clients around the globe in a wide range of industries and contexts. Among the more than 220 languages and dialects that CanTalk provides service in are many Italian dialects. We’re confident that our professional translation services team can accommodate your Italian language project requirements, no matter how unique or stringent they may be.
CanTalk’s Italian language translators are certified, professional, and experienced. They come from many different regions of Italy and understand the importance of localized and culturally aware language services. At CanTalk, our quality assurance team regularly assesses the quality of work done and requires our Italian translators and interpreters to undergo regular training and professional development.
Our Services & Expertise
CanTalk offers a wide array of language services. If you don’t see exactly what you were hoping for, speak to us directly so we can design a customized solution together.
Some of our most popular services include:
- Immediate Over-the-Phone Interpretation
- Translation Services
- Multilingual Call Centre Services
- Remote Learning
- In-Person Interpretation
- Remote Video Interpretation (VRI)
Pricing & Turnaround Time
Unlike some language service agencies, CanTalk believes that the needs of every client are unique and creates a competitive quote based on the specifics of your Italian language project. Likewise, turnaround times can vary depending on the scope and nature of the project at hand.
What we do guarantee at CanTalk is that we’ll prioritize your Italian language project and work to meet your goals with sensitivity to time constraints. For a general frame of reference, Italian spoken interpretive services are available over the phone in less than a minute, while written translations may require anywhere from a few hours to a few days.
- Legal – Certified translations, court interpretation, and legal document translation can all be handled by our professional Italian translation team.
- Medical – Whether you require immediate assistance communicating the symptoms of an unexpected illness, are providing routine checkups for newcomers, or need medical records translated into a different language, Can Talk’s experienced Italian translators are up to the task.
- Financial – Financial records, documents, presentations, communications, and more are handled every day by CanTalk’s trustworthy Italian translators.
- Life Sciences – From healthcare to academic research to pharmaceuticals and more, life science industries can benefit hugely from accurate Italian translation services. CanTalk can help.
- Entertainment – Reach new audiences with Italian voice-overs, subtitles, live interpretation, and more!
- Business – CanTalk’s Italian translators and interpreters have extensive experience with everything from getting business documents translated to providing interpretive services for product inquiries, customer service support, tier one technical support, order taking, meetings, conferences, and presentations.
- Hospitality & Travel – Expand into new markets with Italian language brochures, website pages, audio tours, and much more!
- Government – Governments and government agencies rely on CanTalk for professional Italian customer service support for over-the-phone inquiries, immigration guidance, the translations of websites, documents, medical records, and more.
- No matter the size or scope of your Italian language project, CanTalk’s professional translators and interpreters can help. Contact us today!
Italian Translation Tips
Translation Text Expansion
Italian is famous for being an expressive language filled with rich vocabulary and poetic phrases. When it comes to Italian translation, the result is text expansion. Essentially, this means that text typically expand by about 10-15% when translated from English to Italian (and contract by the same amount when translated from Italian to English). This isn’t necessarily an issue, but should be taken into account in circumstances where specific formatting is of concern.
Like many languages around the globe, Italian is a gendered language. This means that, unlike in English, all nouns are either masculine or feminine (indicated by gendered suffixes). Italian adjectives must also agree in gender with the nouns they modify. This is an important aspect of Italian translation to keep in mind.
Popular Italian Translation Phrases & Words
- Ciao! = Hi/Bye
- Buon giorno = Good morning
- Si = Yes
- No = No
- Per favore = Please
- Grazie = Thank you
- Prego = You’re welcome
- Mi dispiace = I’m sorry
- Come sta? = How are you?
Italian Language Facts
- Approximately 63 million people speak Italian as their first language, while another 3 million speak it as their second language.
- Italian is most widely spoken in Italy, but it’s also an official language of San Marino, Switzerland, and Vatican City.
- Italian is considered a Romance language and is closely related to Latin.
- The letters J, K, W, X, and Y aren’t part of the traditional Italian alphabet. They’re only used to write foreign words!
- Italian is classical music’s universal language. Nearly all classical music vocabulary is Italian—consider words like orchestra, crescendo, and soprano.
Italian Regions & Dialects
There are a lot of different Italian dialects. To understand why, consider the fact that Italy wasn’t united until 1861. Prior to that, different regions of Italy were defined by different versions of the Italian language (and even other language varieties derived from Latin, Greek, Albanian, and more). Today, though modern Italian is spoken across the country, regional dialects and variances remain. Northern dialects, Tuscan and central dialects, and southern and extreme southern dialects all have their unique pronunciations and differences in vocabulary and syntax.
While most Italian dialects are mutually intelligible, it’s important to take regional variations of the language into account when hiring Italian translation services.
Are you seeking professional Italian translation services that will help you communicate your message with clarity and precision? Contact CanTalk today!